Latest News


_logoNewAcknowledgments to the NZ Rugby Almanack Franchise:

 Back to Year by Year Index click here


1967 Season

(Founded, 1890; Affiliated, 1893)
Selector: Mr.P.T.Hurren

Achieving five victories in an eleven match programme was somewhat better than the record of the past two years. The new Selector also found difficulties in team-building and no fewer than 35 players were called on. Big losses were the transfer during the season of valuable forwards, lock Dixon (who had captain the side on occasions), and side-ranker, the experienced Wright.

McAra’s decision to retire from representative Rugby was also another loss, especially as he had been showing outstanding Club form centre. The lack of good lock-forwards was most noticeable, the absence of such men as the Baty brothers and T.E.Rogers (now in Bay of Plenty) left a gap. Several of the fourteen newcomers revealed promise, especially the young full-back, Ladner who could have a very bright future. O’Donnell could develop into a good second five-eighth, and McGill showed possibilities and a side-ranker or No.8 forward.

Of the older players, Johnson captained the side when he was available, and worked hard behind the scrum. Beams was a reliable first Five-eighth. The scrum usually comprised McGill at No.8, Everett and Wright on the sides, Dixon and Sturgeon at lock, Trowbridge the hooker and Heaven, the weighty 17-stone forward, who had represented Counties in 1964 and Ross as props. Steele had last represented in 1964, McMillan in 1965 and Mirfin in 1963. T. T. McDonald, a 1966 representative, had transferred to Buller. McGill was the only “Coaster” to receive a New Zealand trial, playing both at Christchurch and New Plymouth.

1967 Squad

A.D.Henderson (Hokitika Kiwi)
D.G.Mirfin (Cobden)
G.C.Ladner (Blaketown)
Kenneth McNee (Hokitika Excelsior)
Michael A.Gray (Hokitika Kiwi)
R.F.Pfahlert (Hokitika St.Mary’s)
J.A.Davies (Greymouth Star)
L.B.Halsall (Hokitika Excelsior)
T.N.McAra (Greymouth Marists)
M.J.Fitzgerald (Greymouth Marists)
F.P.O’Donnell (Greymouth Star)
K.J.J.Beams (Greymouth Marists)
T.P.Teen (Hokitika St.Mary’s)
B.W.Johnson (Hokitika Excelsior)
D.J.Davidson (Hokitika St.Mary’s)
J.P.McGill (Harihari)
M.G.Sturgeon (Greymouth United)
V.G.Goodall (Blaketown)
M.S.McRae (Harihari)
K.J.Dixon (Hokitika Excelsior)
L.J.Trowbridge (Blaketown)
B.L.Ross (Hokitika Excelsior)
N.R.McMillan (Greymouth Marists)
l.G.Friend (Harihari)
J.A.L.Wright (Hokitika Excelsior)
Robert Forsyth (Blaketown)
C.M.Heaven (Harihari)
E.J.Steele (Hokitika Excelsior)
L.J.Everett (Greymouth United)
G.W.Adamson (Harihari)
P.G.Burrows (Cobden)
D.H.Minchin (Greymouth Star)
G.H.Monk (Hokitika Excelsior)
W.W.Hunt (Hokitika St.Mary’s)
M.J.Syron (Hokitika Excelsior)


Played 11 ; Won 5 ; Lost 6 ; Points: For 132 ; Against 191

April 25 v CANTERBURY at Rugby Park, Greymouth Lost 6 to 30
J.P.McGill, try
A.D.Henderson, penalty goal
Referee: Mr.J.C.Reynish (West Coast)

May 27 v BULLER at Cass Square, Hokitika Lost 5 to 11
L.J.Trowbridge, try
A.D.Henderson, conversion
Referee: Mr.F.Hawes (Buller)

June 5 v GOLDEN BAY-MOTUEKA at Rugby Park, Greymouth Won 15 to 8
V.G.Goodall, K.J.J.Beams and F.P.O’Donnell, tries
A.D.Henderson, 3 conversions
Referee: Mr.J.Logan (West Coast)

June 21 v NEW SOUTH WALES COUNTRY at Rugby Park, Greymouth Won 21 to 13
F.P.O’Donnell, L.B.Halsall and B.W.Johnson, tries
D.G.Mirfin, 2 penalty goals and 3 conversions
Referee: Mr.J.J.Walton (West Coast)

July 1 v NELSON at Rugby Park, Greymouth Won 14 to 11
Michael A.Gray and J.A.Davies, tries
D.G.Mirfin, 2 penalty goals and conversion
Referee: Mr.W.Brennan (West Coast)

July 22 v BULLER at Westport Won 14 to 12
L.J.Trowbridge, try
G.C.Ladner, 3 penalty goals and conversion

August 12 v NORTH OTAGO at Oamaru Won 16 to 15
K.J.J.Beams and L.J.Trowbridge, tries
D.G.Mirfin and G.C.Ladner, penalty goals
D.G.Mirfin, 2 conversions.

August 16 v SOUTHLAND at Invercargill Lost 9 to 12
F.P.O’Donnell, try
G.C.Ladner, 2 penalty goals

August 19 v AN OTAGO XV at Dunedin Lost 16 to 47
M.J.Fitzgerald and J.A.L.Wright, tries
G.C.Ladner, 2 penalty goals and 2 conversions

August 26 v MARLBOROUGH (Seddon Shield) Rugby Park, Greymouth Lost 0 to 8
Referee: Mr.R.D.Macey (Nelson)

September 9 v A CANTERBURY XV at Christchurch Lost 16 to 24
F.P.O’Donnell (2) and K.J.J.Beams, tries
G.C.Ladner, penalty goal and 2 conversions