Latest News


_logoNewAcknowledgments to the NZ Rugby Almanack Franchise:

Back to Year by Year Index click here

1950 Season

(Founded, 1890; Affiliated, 1893)
Selector: Mr. R. R. King

Early season prospects did not look too bright fo1· West Coast,but the new Sole Selector, the ex-All Black, Ron. King, built up a combination, comprised mainly of old and tried representatives,which improved in teamwork and finished with a good record. The loss to British Isles was expected, but West Coast adopted the policy of open play, and the result was a brilliant display of wet weather Rugby. Followed a defeat by Canterbury, but then the Coast wrested the Seddon Shield from Buller’s grasp, and successfully defended it against three challengers, none of whom were able to register a point against the holder.

In all 31 players were required, of whom ten were new to representative Rugby, but of these only the half-back, Robinson, a lively and dependable young player, appeared at all regularly, although Dailey, a strong running winger from Southern Hawke’s Bay, was certain of a place until he moved away to Horowhenua. Of the previous season’s players, J. G. Fraser had moved to Canterbury and R. J. Harrington to Nelson. The side was ably led by Nelson, a very good side-ranker who lacks only in weight to reach the top rank. On the other side of the scrum was Herrick, who had last represented in 1948, whilst the locks were Hornby, also a 1948 representative,and McLean, who had last appeared in 1943.

At the back of the scrum McCone displayed real ability and was an improving forward, whilst the front row comprised Eastgate and Wells, both solid, hard-working forwards, with McKendry, a 1947 representative, as a competent hooker. It was unfortunate that Breeze, the sound and constructive second five-eighth, broke a bone in an arm in the British Isles match, and was out of action for much of the season. The return of Thomas, 1947 representative, from the League code, provided much needed stability to the inside barks, whilst Rex Stoop displayed improved form. Lindbom maintained his reputation as a most capable full-back, possessing all the required attributes, but he was unfortunately injured late in the season, and announced his retirement.

Walker revealed good all round form, but probably the best back was Gillan, who played with fine determination to win selection for the South Island, an honour well merited.

Three players who also appeared in the 1950 Railway Inter-Island match also played for a Union:
J.H.Duncan (Buller), L.D. Lawrence (Otago) and R.G.Thompson (West Coast)

1950 Squad

J.H.Lindbom (Cobden)
E.G.Walker (Hokitika Excelsior)
R.R.Bretherton (Hokitika Excelsior)
A.P.Hines (Greymouth Star)
K.I.Dailey (Blaketown) ** Also represented Horowhenua
D.J.Kelly (Greymouth Celtic)
Merle Stoop (Hokitika Kiwis)
J.E.Gillsn (Greymouth United)
Rex M.Stoop (Hokitika Kiwis)
R.L.Breeze (Hokitika St.Mary’s)
G.T.O’Callaghan (Greymouth Celtic)
M.W.G.Thomas (Blaketown)
J.W.McKenzie (Cobden)
D.N.S.Walker (Blaketown)
J.E.Robinson (Hokitika Excelsior)
N.J.Lynch (Hokitika Kiwis)
A.A.McCone (Cobden)
G.W.Nelson (Greymouth Star)
W.H.Hornby (Greymouth Celtic)
H.J.Hagen (Blakctown)
J.D.Woods (Hokitika Excelsior)
R.R.Eastgate (Hokitika Kiwis)
D.W.McKendry (Blakewwn)
K.M.Wells (Hokitika Excelsior)
A.J.Krakosky (Cobden)
A.C.McLean (Hokitika Kiwis)
G.T.Mathieson (Greymouth United)
A.J.Garforth (Greymouth Celtic)
M.W.Herrick (Cobden)
K.R.G.Fisher (Blaketown)
R.G.Thompson (Cobden)
A.R.Lindbom (Cobden)


Played 9; Won 5; Drew 1; Lost 3 ; Points: For 87 ; Against 105

May 6 v BULLER at Rugby Park, Greymouth Drew 19 to 19
R.R.Eastgate, G.W.Nelson, G.T.O’CalIaghan, A.J.Krakosky, tries
J.H.Lindbom, penalty goal and 2 Conversions.
Referee: Mr.J.Morgan (Buller)

May 16 v BRITISH ISLES, at Rugby Park, Greymouth Lost 3 to 32
J.H.Lindbom, penalty goal.
Referee: Mr.L.W.Gallaway (Otago)

June 5 v CANTERBURY, at Rugby Park, Greymouth Lost 6 to 22
R.R.Eastgate, try
J.H.Lindbom, penalty goal
Referee: Mr.V.C.Empson (Canterbury)

June 24 v BULLER at Westport Won 24 to 12
Rex.M Shoop, J.E.Gillan and M.W.G.Thomas, tries
J.H.Lindbom, 3 penalty goals and 3 conversions

July 22 v BULLER (Seddon Shield) at Westport Won 6 to 3
J.H.Lindbom, 2 penalty goals

August 5 v NELSON (Seddon Shield) at Rugby Park, Greymouth Won 6 to 0
J.E.Gillan, try;
A. R. Lindbom, penalty goal
Referee: Mr. Henry Rangi (Golden Bay-Motueka)

August 12 v MARLBOROUGH (Seddon Shield), at Rugby Park, Greymouth Won 8 to 0
Rex M.Steep and E.G.Walker, tries;
J.H.Lindbom, conversion.
Referee: Mr.R.Marshall (Buller).

September 2 v GOLDEN BAY-MOTUEKA (Seddon Shield),
@Rugby Park, Greymouth. Won 3 to 0

E.G.Walker, try
Referee: Mr.G.S.Northcote (Nelson)

September 16 v CANTERBURY at Christchurch Lost 12 to 17
G.W.Nelson and Merle Steep, tries;
M.W.G.Thomas and Rex M.Steep, penalty goals