Latest News


_logoNewAcknowledgments to the NZ Rugby Almanack Franchise:

 Back to Year by Year Index click here

1940 Season

(Founded, 1890; Affiliated, 1893)
Selectors: Messrs. T. Mclntosh, T. P. Ryan and S. Moore

West Coast made a welcome return to a higher standard of football, after several seasons of disappointing displays. Not only was Buller defeated twice, but Canterbury and Nelson also were beaten, the contest with the latter Union resulting in the Seddon Shield returning to the West Coast. ln the match lost at Christchurch, West Coast was unfortunate in that both regular wing three-quarters and Hendry were unable to travel, but despite these handicaps, the side after being many points down at half-time, made a splendid second half recovery, and although defeated finished the match in impressive style.

During the season only eight of those who represented the Union in 1939 played again, though West and Berry reappeared after a break of a year, and Hendry and M.A.Scandrett had last been in the side in 1937. An important gain was the return of Roberts from Canterbury, whence B.Mahoney also came, but the latter after being selected for the First Buller match was not available.

Wareham was from Wellington, and he filled a regular position. West Coast featured a very fine heavy pack, which was built round R.R.King (the captain), Birchfield and Croudis. These three players were a tower of strength with their honest forward play, King displaying that form which makes him the outstanding packman in the country at the present time. Lake, not able to play in the later matches, had represented Canterbury in one match in l939, and with W.J.Monk, a new Rep., did well. Monk was not always available, Thiele taking his place in the front row; on his performances, it appeared that Thiele should have found a regular place in the team. Pedder proved an excellent hooker, and made an auspicious entry into Representative Rugby.

Another new Rep. in Kiely was a success at halfback, this young player scoring two Fine tries in the Shield match. Kiely, however, was inclined to run from the scrummage too much, but as it was effective, he may perhaps be forgiven if his supports were lost contact with occasionally. West Coast was fortunate in again having Roberts in the side-solidity personined, Roberts had much to do with his Union’s successful season. Hendry, who had first represented in 1934, reappeared to give some line exhibitions.

Appealing greatly, the new centre, Scott, showed that he possesses all the qualities needed to make a great player; tall and of good build, Scott displayed dash and initiative, in addition to being able to place many fine goals. The best winger was Wareham, whose defence especially was sound. Henderson, formerly of South Otago Sub-Union, displayed hesitancy in his movements which lost advantage at critical moments. Lindbom was still the best fullback, his excellent line-kicking at Nelson earning merited comment.

1940 Squad
Arthur King (Cobden)
J.Gillain (Greymouth United)
C.D.Dewar (Greymouth United)
A.R.Lindbom (Cobden)
A.J.Wareham (Greymouth Celtic)
G.F.Henderson (Cobden)
A.G.Monk (Kokatahi)
S.R.Burns (Hokitika Kiwi)
P.S.Hendry (Greymonth United)
R.H.Scott (Greymouth Celtic)
R.L.Roberts (Hokitika Kiwi)
Albert Vaughan (Cobden)
J.E West (Hokitika Kiwi)
T.P Kiely (Cobden)
W.A.Croudis (Greymouth Celtic)
M.A.Scandrett (Greymouth Celtic)
A.S.Scandrett (Greymouth Celtic)
R.R.King (Cobden)
R.T.Birchfield (Cobden)
W.J.Monk (Kokatahi)
A.J.Lake (Cobden)
R.A.Godfrey (Kokatahi)
W.Parsonage (Greymouth Celtic)
A. Bruhn (Greymouth Celtic)
W.R.Pedder (Hokitika Excelsior)
C.H.Thiele (Hari Hari)
G.Berry (Hari Hari)


Played, 5; Won, 4; Lost, 1 , Points; for, 78; Against, 64

July 6 v BULLER (Rundle Cup), at Westport. Won 18 to 6
W.A.Croudis, R.L.Roberts and R.H.Scott, tries;
R.H.Scott, 3 penalty goals

July 20 v BULLER (Rundle Cup), at Rugby Park, Greymouth. Won 12 to 8
R.R.King (2) and W.R.Podder, tries;
R.H.Scott, penalty goal
Referee: Mr. N.Eggleton (West Coast)

August 17 v CANTERBURY, at Christchurch. Lost 16 to 27
W.J.Monk, W.Croudis and R.L.Roberts, tries;
R.H.Scott, penalty goal; T.P.Kiely and R.H.Scott, conversions

August 31 v CANTERBURY, at Rugby Park, Greymouth. Won 13 to 11
T.P. Kiely, try;
A.R. Lindbom dropped goal and 2 penalty goals.
Referee: Mr. M.R.Bunt (West Coast)

September 14 v NELSON (Seddon Shield), at Nelson Won 19 to 12
T.P.Kiely, 2 tries;
R.H.Scott (2) and A.R.Lindbom, penalty goals; A. R. Lindbom, 2 conversions